UC Davis Gets Energy Lab
UC Davis researchers will be partners in a new $125 million federal bioenergy research center, the U.S. Department of Energy announced this week.
The funds will establish and support the partnership of three national laboratories and three research universities in northern California, including UC Davis, to be known as the federal Energy Department's Joint BioEnergy Institute.
Research at the Northern California JBEI will focus on biofuels - liquid fuels derived from the solar energy stored in plant matter. UC Davis' work will be based in the Plant Genomics Program and the UC Davis Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, deciphering the structure of the plant cell walls being converted to fuels and of the microbes doing the converting.
The chief JBEI researcher at UC Davis will be Pamela Ronald, a professor of plant pathology and chair of the Plant Genomics Program. Ronald is an expert on the genome of rice.
"We will be studying rice as a model grass crop, as well another plant model, Arabidopsis, to understand exactly how the cell wall is constructed," Ronald said. Other UC Davis scientists will be looking for microbes that are particularly adept at degrading those cell walls, which is a key step in the biofuels production process.
Of the $125 million, about $5 million will come to UC Davis, Ronald said.
The JBEI partners are UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Stanford University, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), Sandia National Laboratories (Sandia) and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). Start-up leadership for the project will come from the Berkeley Lab.
"These centers will provide the transformational science needed for bioenergy breakthroughs to advance President Bush's goal of making cellulosic ethanol cost-competitive with gasoline by 2012, and assist in reducing America's gasoline consumption by 20 percent in 10 years," said Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman.
"The collaborations of academic, corporate, and national laboratory researchers represented by these centers are truly impressive and I am very encouraged by the potential they hold for advancing America's energy security."
- Corporate Park Buildings OK'd
- UC Davis Gets Energy Lab
- Council Endorses Legislation To Amend Tax Code
- Big Lawrence Berkeley Lab Biofuel Project Boosts B...
- Genentech, Abbott Team Up On 2 Drugs
- UC Davis lands federal grant for "knockout mouse" ...
- Energy Department picks Bay Area for new bioenergy...
- UC Davis Is Partner in New $125 Million Federal Bi...
- Anheuser-Busch Tops In Diversity Practices
- County Budget Passes In Entirety
- UCLA economists say state will avoid recession
- Governor attends launch of UC Davis Energy Efficie...
- School of Public Health OK'd by UC Davis faculty
- Rally For Biotech
- Burgeoning Biotech
- Solano EDC to Welcome Farmland Trust Speaker
- This Bud's For You -- Fairfield's Anheuser-Busch B...
- Unlike Other Counties, Solano Not Facing Water Red...
- Biotech's Proposal Moves Step Closer To Approval
- Cancer Center Earns Accreditation
- Suisun Vintners, Growers Debut Co-Op Tasting Room
- Group Brainstorms For Solano's Economy
- Suisun Valley Ag Horizons Explored
- Business Leaders, Officials Ponder Ideas For Count...
- Crop Value Falls Short Of Estimate
- Unbuilding A Bridge
- Round-Up Slated
- Dinner Event Set
- Genentech Closer To Panel's OK
- Solano County Listed As Job Growth Area
- Calbee Opens Plant In Fairfield
- Pipe Dreams -- Benicia Company Gives Life To Old M...
- Sewer Plant Grows With The Flow
- Survey: Local Job Growth Outlook Good
- Vallejo Transit Funds OK'd
- Genentech Vice President Retiring
- Research, Industry Campus Plan Dominates Collinsvi...
- Sacramento to Vancouver flights take off Friday
- New Official Eyes Local Roads
- New Digs For Solano EDC
- New Web Site For Vallejo Vistors Center
- Transportation Head Is Guest Of Honor At EDC's Ope...
- Mare Island Business Strong As Steel
- Going Green
- Vacaville Firm Launches Facility
- Sacramento Region expects tech hiring gains
- Housing slump isn't hurting local developments
- UC Davis Gets $2.8M Stem Cell Grant
- County Gets Good Return On Its Crops
- Foy McNaughton Earns Citizen Of The Year Honors
- Economic Corp. Finds New Home, Commissioner
- County Recognized For Fiscal Excellence
- Fairfield Magnetizes Wine Lovers
- Graduation rates up at UC Davis awarding an estima...
- City Manager To Be Honored
- County Plans To Spend Big In New Fiscal Year
- Ralph Grossi To Appear At Solano EDC Dinner June 2...
- Rockville Trails Estates
- On The Menu
- Fruit, Veggies And Music
- Workshop Targets Ways To Improve 80 To 80 Corridor...
- Aide Becomes Public Information Officer
- ▼ June (62)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)