Suisun Valley Ag Horizons Explored
By Danny Bernardini/Staff Writer
Suisun Valley residents and landowners Tuesday night got a peek at two proposals that would allow them to explore new moneymaking options.
County staff has proposed a tourist 'Suisun Loop' in the valley plus establishment of neighborhood agricultural centers.
The proposals were on display during Solano County's Suisun Valley Special Study Area meeting at Solano College. Nearly 50 people gathered for this second of four meetings to analyze what changes they want to see as part of the county's General Plan Update.
Many in the valley complain that the current plan does not include an agricultural element and places too many restrictions on farmers by limiting moneymaking options on their property.
"They are absolutely suffocating the valley. It's a recipe for disaster," local landowner Dean Frisbee said of the county. "Somebody better do something. Something needs to be done."
Information gathered at these meetings will be sent to the county's Citizens Advisory Committee and eventually to the Board of Supervisors.
The proposal entitled "Neighborhood Agricultural Center" would complement the agriculture-tourism commercial centers at Mankas and Rockville corners, as long as they enhance the agricultural character of Suisun Valley and help develop brand-name recognition.
The centers could include bed-and-breakfasts, restaurants, retail stores and facilities for selling local produce.
Included among the centers would be one called the "north connector" area at Abernathy and Chadbourne roads that would act as a gateway to the valley.
The second proposal would create the "Suisun Loop" encompassing the new gateway and other areas such as Mankas and Rockville corners. Any property facing this loop would be allowed to house value-added facilities such as a communal fruit processing installation, wine-tasting rooms and fruit stands.
Meeting facilitator Jeff Henderson reminded the group that these proposals are just that and likely will change as the process continues.
Danny Bernardini can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Corporate Park Buildings OK'd
- UC Davis Gets Energy Lab
- Council Endorses Legislation To Amend Tax Code
- Big Lawrence Berkeley Lab Biofuel Project Boosts B...
- Genentech, Abbott Team Up On 2 Drugs
- UC Davis lands federal grant for "knockout mouse" ...
- Energy Department picks Bay Area for new bioenergy...
- UC Davis Is Partner in New $125 Million Federal Bi...
- Anheuser-Busch Tops In Diversity Practices
- County Budget Passes In Entirety
- UCLA economists say state will avoid recession
- Governor attends launch of UC Davis Energy Efficie...
- School of Public Health OK'd by UC Davis faculty
- Rally For Biotech
- Burgeoning Biotech
- Solano EDC to Welcome Farmland Trust Speaker
- This Bud's For You -- Fairfield's Anheuser-Busch B...
- Unlike Other Counties, Solano Not Facing Water Red...
- Biotech's Proposal Moves Step Closer To Approval
- Cancer Center Earns Accreditation
- Suisun Vintners, Growers Debut Co-Op Tasting Room
- Group Brainstorms For Solano's Economy
- Suisun Valley Ag Horizons Explored
- Business Leaders, Officials Ponder Ideas For Count...
- Crop Value Falls Short Of Estimate
- Unbuilding A Bridge
- Round-Up Slated
- Dinner Event Set
- Genentech Closer To Panel's OK
- Solano County Listed As Job Growth Area
- Calbee Opens Plant In Fairfield
- Pipe Dreams -- Benicia Company Gives Life To Old M...
- Sewer Plant Grows With The Flow
- Survey: Local Job Growth Outlook Good
- Vallejo Transit Funds OK'd
- Genentech Vice President Retiring
- Research, Industry Campus Plan Dominates Collinsvi...
- Sacramento to Vancouver flights take off Friday
- New Official Eyes Local Roads
- New Digs For Solano EDC
- New Web Site For Vallejo Vistors Center
- Transportation Head Is Guest Of Honor At EDC's Ope...
- Mare Island Business Strong As Steel
- Going Green
- Vacaville Firm Launches Facility
- Sacramento Region expects tech hiring gains
- Housing slump isn't hurting local developments
- UC Davis Gets $2.8M Stem Cell Grant
- County Gets Good Return On Its Crops
- Foy McNaughton Earns Citizen Of The Year Honors
- Economic Corp. Finds New Home, Commissioner
- County Recognized For Fiscal Excellence
- Fairfield Magnetizes Wine Lovers
- Graduation rates up at UC Davis awarding an estima...
- City Manager To Be Honored
- County Plans To Spend Big In New Fiscal Year
- Ralph Grossi To Appear At Solano EDC Dinner June 2...
- Rockville Trails Estates
- On The Menu
- Fruit, Veggies And Music
- Workshop Targets Ways To Improve 80 To 80 Corridor...
- Aide Becomes Public Information Officer
- ▼ June (62)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)