County Budget Passes In Entirety
By Ben Antonius
FAIRFIELD - The first day of county budget talks bounced from discussing the condition of the area historical archives to economic development to the Solano County Grand Jury.
The Board of Supervisors set aside those topics and several others for discussion Monday as they perused the proposed 2007-2008 budget. The board reviewed and approved the entire budget after a nine-hour meeting.
The county archives are kept in an Enterprise Drive warehouse, which suffered a small flood on June 5 and 6, damaging some of the documents stored there. The incident happened when a small fire in a building adjacent to the county archives triggered the sprinkler system, which sent a stream of water running through the archive room.
Volunteer Leslie Batson said conditions need to improve before something more serious happens to the archives, showing the board a 19th century document that was damaged in the incident.
County staff members should report back by August with specific plans for how to protect the archives in the future, said Supervisor Barbara Kondylis.
"The volunteers are sitting out there, worried that all their work is for nothing," Kondylis.
The board also voted to increase its contribution to the Solano Economic Development Corporation, a non-profit organization that works with public agencies on marketing to encourage businesses to relocate to Solano County and local businesses to expand.
"I think it sends a message to the business community and the community in general that we're concerned about the types of jobs here," said Supervisor John Vasquez.
Kondylis voted against the change, which will roughly double the county's contribution to Solano EDC to $45,000. She said the county should consider spending the money on other non-profits, such as ones that focus on children's' health and development.
Vasquez also criticized the Solano County Grand Jury for a recent series of reports on the county animal shelter and the Mare Island Historic Park Foundation. He said the jury system is antiquated and suggested that the jury reports include ideas on solutions to the problems they identify.
"There's never going to be enough money to do everything," he said.
Reach Ben Antonius at 427-6977 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Corporate Park Buildings OK'd
- UC Davis Gets Energy Lab
- Council Endorses Legislation To Amend Tax Code
- Big Lawrence Berkeley Lab Biofuel Project Boosts B...
- Genentech, Abbott Team Up On 2 Drugs
- UC Davis lands federal grant for "knockout mouse" ...
- Energy Department picks Bay Area for new bioenergy...
- UC Davis Is Partner in New $125 Million Federal Bi...
- Anheuser-Busch Tops In Diversity Practices
- County Budget Passes In Entirety
- UCLA economists say state will avoid recession
- Governor attends launch of UC Davis Energy Efficie...
- School of Public Health OK'd by UC Davis faculty
- Rally For Biotech
- Burgeoning Biotech
- Solano EDC to Welcome Farmland Trust Speaker
- This Bud's For You -- Fairfield's Anheuser-Busch B...
- Unlike Other Counties, Solano Not Facing Water Red...
- Biotech's Proposal Moves Step Closer To Approval
- Cancer Center Earns Accreditation
- Suisun Vintners, Growers Debut Co-Op Tasting Room
- Group Brainstorms For Solano's Economy
- Suisun Valley Ag Horizons Explored
- Business Leaders, Officials Ponder Ideas For Count...
- Crop Value Falls Short Of Estimate
- Unbuilding A Bridge
- Round-Up Slated
- Dinner Event Set
- Genentech Closer To Panel's OK
- Solano County Listed As Job Growth Area
- Calbee Opens Plant In Fairfield
- Pipe Dreams -- Benicia Company Gives Life To Old M...
- Sewer Plant Grows With The Flow
- Survey: Local Job Growth Outlook Good
- Vallejo Transit Funds OK'd
- Genentech Vice President Retiring
- Research, Industry Campus Plan Dominates Collinsvi...
- Sacramento to Vancouver flights take off Friday
- New Official Eyes Local Roads
- New Digs For Solano EDC
- New Web Site For Vallejo Vistors Center
- Transportation Head Is Guest Of Honor At EDC's Ope...
- Mare Island Business Strong As Steel
- Going Green
- Vacaville Firm Launches Facility
- Sacramento Region expects tech hiring gains
- Housing slump isn't hurting local developments
- UC Davis Gets $2.8M Stem Cell Grant
- County Gets Good Return On Its Crops
- Foy McNaughton Earns Citizen Of The Year Honors
- Economic Corp. Finds New Home, Commissioner
- County Recognized For Fiscal Excellence
- Fairfield Magnetizes Wine Lovers
- Graduation rates up at UC Davis awarding an estima...
- City Manager To Be Honored
- County Plans To Spend Big In New Fiscal Year
- Ralph Grossi To Appear At Solano EDC Dinner June 2...
- Rockville Trails Estates
- On The Menu
- Fruit, Veggies And Music
- Workshop Targets Ways To Improve 80 To 80 Corridor...
- Aide Becomes Public Information Officer
- ▼ June (62)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)