Travis Funding Part of Defense Appropriation
By Danny Bernardini/Staff Writer
Funds for a squadron facility at Travis Air Force Base are included in the National Defense Authorization Act which moves to the House floor next week, according to Rep. Ellen Tauscher, D-Solano.
The act, which includes $10.8 million for a Global Support Squadron Facility, was approved Wednesday by the House Armed Services Committee, Tauscher said. Also included are funds for the production of 10 new C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft.
Kevin Lawlor, Tauscher's director of communications, said it is much too early to determine how many of the new complement of C-17s could end up at Travis. The base already had been allocated 13 of the aircraft, 10 of which have arrived.
The new facility at Travis would involve 130 personnel and would be used to speed up training an deployment of troops for both battle and humanitarian efforts overseas, according to Tauscher's office.
The building would be the first Global Support Squadron Facility on the West Coast
"Travis is a vital installation, and I am proud that this reshaping reflects that by delivering crucial funds that allow the men and women of the base to complete their missions more effectively," Tauscher said in a press release. She called the base the "backbone of our community, the gateway to the West for our military, and a critical hub for military airlift and strategic transport."
In regard to the prospect of additional C-17s, Lawlor said, "This is a good sign that the military and Congress want to produce more. It looks like we are going to continue."
Lawlor said that the impact of bases closing throughout the world and the growing reliance on strategic airlift have made Travis a major factor. He also said Travis would likely benefit from the production of the new aircraft. Plus, the new planes aren't a hard sell.
"C-17s are the Cadillac for strategic airlifts," he said. "When people hear how vital they are (in strategic airlift), they realize how important they are."
Danny Bernardini can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
- New Date At Strait
- School District Celebrates Twin Achievements
- Lagoon Valley Developer Seeks Wetlands Permit
- Tahoe Artist Tapped To Paint Mural
- Touro's 'Village' Concept Praised
- Solano EDC Hosts Event
- Suisun Valley Co-op Aims For Niche In Wine Market
- Come Share The 'Joy of Eating' At Restaurant
- New Suisun Restaurant To Feature California French...
- Agency Wins Award For Laurel Gardens Project
- AIRMID LICENSED TO DEVELOP CANDIDATE DRUGS FROM UC...
- UC Davis licenses autoimmune patents
- The Sacramento Region is showing improving job gro...
- Wal-Mart Victorious In AmCan
- Supes: Marketing Could Help Vineyards
- Fairfield Recognized With National Housing Award
- City Wants Mural To Paint Positive Image
- Agro-Tourism Seeds Planted
- Supervisors To Hear Study Touting Appeal Of Suisun...
- Paradise Expands
- 10 Questions With Charles Eason
- Complicated Growth Issues Face Solano
- $50,000-per-year GREAT grants stimulate and suppor...
- San Jose area ranks tops for nanotech
- Suisun City Plans To Dredge Up Harbor
- Vacaville Revives VIP Day, A Development Sales Pit...
- Vacaville: 'Great Hub For Businesses'
- Counties, Caltrans agree to co-manage Highway 12 p...
- Bay Area execs see job growth
- Mercedes-Benz To Set Up Shop In Auto Mall
- Whales Wend Their Way To Rio Vista
- City to Roll Red Carpet For Investors
- Farmer Teams Up With Raley's to Sell Home-Grown Oi...
- Report Shows Employment Up in Solano
- Affordable and Green
- Oil's Future
- Refinery owners upgrading for more reliability, pr...
- Aviators Told of Nut Tree's Coming Phase
- Vacaville On Display For Visiting VIPs
- Travis Funding Part of Defense Appropriation
- Fentons to Open Ice Cream Parlor at Nut Tree Park
- Touro Moves Quickly on M.I. Village
- City to Seek Aid For Clean Fleet's Sustainance
- Supervisors OK Homeless Shelter Donation of $1M
- Developer Touts Wine-Country Living at Affordable ...
- County to Contribute $1M to Mission Solano
- ▼ May (46)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)