School District Celebrates Twin Achievements
By Susan Winlow
The new district building on Hilborn Road will be officially dedicated today. (Photo by Mike McCoy)
FAIRFIELD - The Fairfield-Suisun School District will celebrate twice this week - Thursday and Friday - with the dedication of the district office building and the celebration of Green Valley Middle School being named a 2007 California Distinguished School.
Up first is the Thursday dedication of the $14 million school district office building, which was completed enough to house district personnel in June 2006.
A year passed and waiting a year to dedicate a building is not unusual, said Rob Pierce, the assistant superintendent of facilities and operations.
"Last summer and fall were pretty busy with just getting people in and set," he said. "We waited through the rainy season and here we are."
The dedication will be held outside and should last about an hour, Pierce said.
The mayor of Fairfield, Harry Price, School Superintendent Woodrow Carter and school board president Gary Falati are scheduled to speak at the dedication. Music will be provided by Crystal and Green Valley middle schools.
The new district office has three-stories and 75,000 square feet. For 10 years prior, the district office was in the David Weir Elementary School on Pennsylvania Avenue. When district personnel moved into the new offices at 2490 Hilborn Rd., David Weir Elementary School was renovated and turned back into a school.
"Our dedication ceremony will officially recognize a facility that Fairfield-Suisun, as well as the entire county, can be justifiably proud," Carter said.
On Friday, Green Valley Middle School will celebrate its 2007 California Distinguished School award. The celebration begins at 10:30 a.m. and a reception in the library will follow. Green Valley was one of 75 middle schools - out of 1,250 - in California selected for the 2007 honor.
Reach Susan Winlow at 427-6955 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
At a glance
What: Fairfield-Suisun School District office building dedication
When: 4 p.m. Thursday
Where: 2490 Hilborn Rd, Fairfield
At a glance
What: Green Valley Middle School Distinguished School Ceremony
When: 10:30 a.m. Friday
Where: 1350 Gold Hill Rd, Fairfield
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
- New Date At Strait
- School District Celebrates Twin Achievements
- Lagoon Valley Developer Seeks Wetlands Permit
- Tahoe Artist Tapped To Paint Mural
- Touro's 'Village' Concept Praised
- Solano EDC Hosts Event
- Suisun Valley Co-op Aims For Niche In Wine Market
- Come Share The 'Joy of Eating' At Restaurant
- New Suisun Restaurant To Feature California French...
- Agency Wins Award For Laurel Gardens Project
- AIRMID LICENSED TO DEVELOP CANDIDATE DRUGS FROM UC...
- UC Davis licenses autoimmune patents
- The Sacramento Region is showing improving job gro...
- Wal-Mart Victorious In AmCan
- Supes: Marketing Could Help Vineyards
- Fairfield Recognized With National Housing Award
- City Wants Mural To Paint Positive Image
- Agro-Tourism Seeds Planted
- Supervisors To Hear Study Touting Appeal Of Suisun...
- Paradise Expands
- 10 Questions With Charles Eason
- Complicated Growth Issues Face Solano
- $50,000-per-year GREAT grants stimulate and suppor...
- San Jose area ranks tops for nanotech
- Suisun City Plans To Dredge Up Harbor
- Vacaville Revives VIP Day, A Development Sales Pit...
- Vacaville: 'Great Hub For Businesses'
- Counties, Caltrans agree to co-manage Highway 12 p...
- Bay Area execs see job growth
- Mercedes-Benz To Set Up Shop In Auto Mall
- Whales Wend Their Way To Rio Vista
- City to Roll Red Carpet For Investors
- Farmer Teams Up With Raley's to Sell Home-Grown Oi...
- Report Shows Employment Up in Solano
- Affordable and Green
- Oil's Future
- Refinery owners upgrading for more reliability, pr...
- Aviators Told of Nut Tree's Coming Phase
- Vacaville On Display For Visiting VIPs
- Travis Funding Part of Defense Appropriation
- Fentons to Open Ice Cream Parlor at Nut Tree Park
- Touro Moves Quickly on M.I. Village
- City to Seek Aid For Clean Fleet's Sustainance
- Supervisors OK Homeless Shelter Donation of $1M
- Developer Touts Wine-Country Living at Affordable ...
- County to Contribute $1M to Mission Solano
- ▼ May (46)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)