Report Shows Employment Up in Solano
By Ines Bebea
FAIRFIELD - The unemployment rate in Solano County decreased from 5 percent in February to 4.7 percent in March.
According to a report of the Vallejo-Fairfield Metropolitan statistical area by the Labor Market Information Division, the unemployment rate was below the year-ago estimate of 5.2 percent.
From February to March of this year, 1,700 new jobs were created, bringing the total number of jobs to 133,700. That is an increase of 3,300 jobs over the same period last year, when March totals were 130,400.
The biggest surge in employment was in the leisure and hospitality industries, where 600 jobs were added in March. That was followed by 200 government jobs; 200 jobs in construction; 200 jobs in farms and 100 jobs in manufacturing, educational services, trade, transportation and utility.
Anheuser-Busch improves sales in first quarter
ST. LOUIS - In its sales and earnings report for the first quarter of 2007, Anheuser-Busch Cos., net sales increased by 2.7 percent and earnings per share increased to 4.7 percent.
Anheuser-Busch, which has a Budweiser plant in Fairfield, made the report available during its annual shareholders meeting in Orlando, Fla.
U.S. beer shipments to wholesalers increased 0.5 percent for the first quarter of 2007, with acquired and import brands contributing 1.2 points to overall growth. In February, Anheuser-Busch became the exclusive importer of select InBev European brands.
The company's U.S. beer market share for the first quarter of 2007 decreased to 50.2 percent. In 2006, the market share during the first quarter was 50.9 percent. International volume, consisting of Anheuser-Busch brands produced overseas by company owned breweries, plus exports from U.S breweries, increased 8.7 percent and sold primarily in China and Canada.
State Fair seeks California's oldest farms
SACRAMENTO - The California State Fair has began its annual search for farms, ranches, and companies that have been in California for 100 years or more. Nominees will be inducted into the California Agricultural Heritage Club, during a recognition ceremony and brunch in August, during the State Fair.
The deadline for entry is June 8, 2007, and it is open to any ag-related business or affiliates, including farms, ranches, equipment dealers, accountants, trade or marketing organizations, universities/colleges, irrigation districts, and others.
Last year, the Vassar Ranch in Dixon and the University of California, Berkeley, College of Natural Resources were inducted into the California Agricultural Heritage Club.
New directors for California Exposition
SACRAMENTO - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has appointed Gil Albiani and Cornelius Gallagher to the California Exposition and State Fair board of directors.
They will serve for four years.
The board of directors serves as the policymaking body for the California Exposition and State fair. It's responsibilities include year-around and management and operation of all the facilities of Cal Expo and the State Fair. Marilyn Hendrickson of Vacaville is a one of the 10 members currently serving on the board.
Reach Ines Bebea at 427-6934 or email@example.com.
- New Date At Strait
- School District Celebrates Twin Achievements
- Lagoon Valley Developer Seeks Wetlands Permit
- Tahoe Artist Tapped To Paint Mural
- Touro's 'Village' Concept Praised
- Solano EDC Hosts Event
- Suisun Valley Co-op Aims For Niche In Wine Market
- Come Share The 'Joy of Eating' At Restaurant
- New Suisun Restaurant To Feature California French...
- Agency Wins Award For Laurel Gardens Project
- AIRMID LICENSED TO DEVELOP CANDIDATE DRUGS FROM UC...
- UC Davis licenses autoimmune patents
- The Sacramento Region is showing improving job gro...
- Wal-Mart Victorious In AmCan
- Supes: Marketing Could Help Vineyards
- Fairfield Recognized With National Housing Award
- City Wants Mural To Paint Positive Image
- Agro-Tourism Seeds Planted
- Supervisors To Hear Study Touting Appeal Of Suisun...
- Paradise Expands
- 10 Questions With Charles Eason
- Complicated Growth Issues Face Solano
- $50,000-per-year GREAT grants stimulate and suppor...
- San Jose area ranks tops for nanotech
- Suisun City Plans To Dredge Up Harbor
- Vacaville Revives VIP Day, A Development Sales Pit...
- Vacaville: 'Great Hub For Businesses'
- Counties, Caltrans agree to co-manage Highway 12 p...
- Bay Area execs see job growth
- Mercedes-Benz To Set Up Shop In Auto Mall
- Whales Wend Their Way To Rio Vista
- City to Roll Red Carpet For Investors
- Farmer Teams Up With Raley's to Sell Home-Grown Oi...
- Report Shows Employment Up in Solano
- Affordable and Green
- Oil's Future
- Refinery owners upgrading for more reliability, pr...
- Aviators Told of Nut Tree's Coming Phase
- Vacaville On Display For Visiting VIPs
- Travis Funding Part of Defense Appropriation
- Fentons to Open Ice Cream Parlor at Nut Tree Park
- Touro Moves Quickly on M.I. Village
- City to Seek Aid For Clean Fleet's Sustainance
- Supervisors OK Homeless Shelter Donation of $1M
- Developer Touts Wine-Country Living at Affordable ...
- County to Contribute $1M to Mission Solano
- ▼ May (46)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)