Agro-Tourism Seeds Planted
By Danny Bernardini/Staff Writer
Boosting the agriculture, agro-tourism and the wine industry of the Suisun Valley will be discussed Tuesday by the Solano County Board of Supervisors.
They will consider a report in this regard created by the American Farmland Trust and may apply it to considerations in the update of the county's General Plan.
Board members have indicated in prior meetings that they favor addressing these agricultural issues.
In addition to building up marketing, tourism and the wine industry, the report suggests the slogan "Try Suisun" as a device to attract visitors to the area.
"Suisun Valley is a unique farming region that supports profitable family farms and quality of life for its residents. It is a destination for tourists seeking world class wine, identifiable Suisun Valley farm products and a beautiful agriculture landscape with no fallow land," states a visioning statement included in the report.
Among the report's findings, winemaking was singled out as an opportunity for the farmers in the valley to be successful. Included in suggestions are creating a communal crush and barrel storage facility for wine growers.
It also recommends changing regulations and zoning to allow growers to be more successful by adhering to the same rules as neighboring counties such as Napa.
The Solano County Board of Supervisors will meet today at 8:30 a.m. in the board chamber, 675 Texas St. in Fairfield.
Danny Bernardini can be reached at email@example.com.
- New Date At Strait
- School District Celebrates Twin Achievements
- Lagoon Valley Developer Seeks Wetlands Permit
- Tahoe Artist Tapped To Paint Mural
- Touro's 'Village' Concept Praised
- Solano EDC Hosts Event
- Suisun Valley Co-op Aims For Niche In Wine Market
- Come Share The 'Joy of Eating' At Restaurant
- New Suisun Restaurant To Feature California French...
- Agency Wins Award For Laurel Gardens Project
- AIRMID LICENSED TO DEVELOP CANDIDATE DRUGS FROM UC...
- UC Davis licenses autoimmune patents
- The Sacramento Region is showing improving job gro...
- Wal-Mart Victorious In AmCan
- Supes: Marketing Could Help Vineyards
- Fairfield Recognized With National Housing Award
- City Wants Mural To Paint Positive Image
- Agro-Tourism Seeds Planted
- Supervisors To Hear Study Touting Appeal Of Suisun...
- Paradise Expands
- 10 Questions With Charles Eason
- Complicated Growth Issues Face Solano
- $50,000-per-year GREAT grants stimulate and suppor...
- San Jose area ranks tops for nanotech
- Suisun City Plans To Dredge Up Harbor
- Vacaville Revives VIP Day, A Development Sales Pit...
- Vacaville: 'Great Hub For Businesses'
- Counties, Caltrans agree to co-manage Highway 12 p...
- Bay Area execs see job growth
- Mercedes-Benz To Set Up Shop In Auto Mall
- Whales Wend Their Way To Rio Vista
- City to Roll Red Carpet For Investors
- Farmer Teams Up With Raley's to Sell Home-Grown Oi...
- Report Shows Employment Up in Solano
- Affordable and Green
- Oil's Future
- Refinery owners upgrading for more reliability, pr...
- Aviators Told of Nut Tree's Coming Phase
- Vacaville On Display For Visiting VIPs
- Travis Funding Part of Defense Appropriation
- Fentons to Open Ice Cream Parlor at Nut Tree Park
- Touro Moves Quickly on M.I. Village
- City to Seek Aid For Clean Fleet's Sustainance
- Supervisors OK Homeless Shelter Donation of $1M
- Developer Touts Wine-Country Living at Affordable ...
- County to Contribute $1M to Mission Solano
- ▼ May (46)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)