Vacaville Police Chief Honored
By Reporter Staff
Article Launched: 03/07/2008
Vacaville Police Chief Richard Word was honored Tuesday in Fresno with a service award recognizing his commitment to youth and youth outreach.
The presentation was made at the annual California Police Chiefs' conference, where Word received a commemorative plaque from the Fight Crime: Invest in Kids California organization.
Word, a member of Fight Crime: Invest in Kids since 2000, is wrapping up his one-year term as president of the California Police Chiefs' Association.
The group is a bipartisan, non-profit, anti-crime organization led by more than 350 sheriffs, police chiefs, district attorneys and victims of violence. Its mission is to take a critical look at the research about what really works to keep kids from becoming criminals. Among the strategies proven to be effective are preschool, after-school programs, child abuse and neglect prevention programs and intensive interventions for juvenile offenders.
"Chief Word has demonstrated his commitment to kids by participating in outreach to policymakers and the media and spreading the word about effective crime prevention strategies," said Fight Crime: Invest in Kids Director Barrie Becker, in a prepared statement.
"Prevention and intervention are critical components of what my department does," said Word. "Investing early in supportive services for kids and families and getting kids engaged in healthy alternatives to crime is a proven way of preventing crime before it ever happens."
- Extending CA net operating losses carry-forward to...
- Benicia's Universal Environmental bought by Clean ...
- Copart Grows Again
- Sludge Spread: More Than 14,000 Tons of Biosolids ...
- Travis Commander Shares Deployment Experiences Wit...
- Travis Commander Back From Mideast
- SMUD: New Wind Turbines Can Power Homes
- Forlorn Hope's Suisun Valley wines receive high pr...
- Developer Has Big Plans For Marina Shopping Center...
- Vallejo Group Earns 4-Star Chamber Accreditation
- Solano County gives Affiliated Computer Services $...
- Honeywell and Solano County in solar deal
- Vacaville Police Chief Honored
- FIRST ROBOTICS COMPETITION RETURNS TO UC DAVIS CAM...
- Reputation Of Travis Solid In D.C.
- Paper Turns 125
- City Leaders Lobby in D.C.
- Airport Commission Takes Look At Wind Farm Project...
- Governor Tours Fairfield Plant
- SMUD Plants More Turbines At Wind Farm
- Governor Touts Apprentice Training
- County Hires Solano EDC For Studies
- Economic Group To Get Travis Status
- $21.6 million UC Davis new recital hall to be loca...
- FAIRFIELD, CA CENTER OF SUPPORT FOR NORTHERN CALIF...
- Planners Get 500-Megawatt Rower Project
- Discovery Kingdom To Open 40th Season
- Travis Backs Wind Farm
- PG&E Begins Work To Meet Growing Needs
- Travis Commander To Speak At Solano EDC Luncheon
- Energy Measures Could Bring Business
- Wines Are Winners
- Environmental Studies
- ▼ March (33)
- ► 2007 (799)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)