SMUD: New Wind Turbines Can Power Homes
Turbines Are Largest In North America
POSTED: March 11, 2008
RIO VISTA, Calif. -- The Sacramento Municipal Utility District is moving ahead with its plan to harness the power of wind for its power customers.
Twenty-nine wind turbines were unveiled Tuesday in Rio Vista. At 412 feet tall, they are the largest in North America and can power 1,000 homes without producing any greenhouse gases.
SMUD picked this area because of the constant flow of the Delta breezes during the summer, which also becomes the peak season for power demand.
"We're very hopeful that our customers are supportive of this. One of our goals is to produce 23 percent of our energy from renewable resources by the year 2011," Jon Bertolino from SMUD said.
The district is working on getting another 30 or 40 wind turbines up and running within the next two years.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
- Extending CA net operating losses carry-forward to...
- Benicia's Universal Environmental bought by Clean ...
- Copart Grows Again
- Sludge Spread: More Than 14,000 Tons of Biosolids ...
- Travis Commander Shares Deployment Experiences Wit...
- Travis Commander Back From Mideast
- SMUD: New Wind Turbines Can Power Homes
- Forlorn Hope's Suisun Valley wines receive high pr...
- Developer Has Big Plans For Marina Shopping Center...
- Vallejo Group Earns 4-Star Chamber Accreditation
- Solano County gives Affiliated Computer Services $...
- Honeywell and Solano County in solar deal
- Vacaville Police Chief Honored
- FIRST ROBOTICS COMPETITION RETURNS TO UC DAVIS CAM...
- Reputation Of Travis Solid In D.C.
- Paper Turns 125
- City Leaders Lobby in D.C.
- Airport Commission Takes Look At Wind Farm Project...
- Governor Tours Fairfield Plant
- SMUD Plants More Turbines At Wind Farm
- Governor Touts Apprentice Training
- County Hires Solano EDC For Studies
- Economic Group To Get Travis Status
- $21.6 million UC Davis new recital hall to be loca...
- FAIRFIELD, CA CENTER OF SUPPORT FOR NORTHERN CALIF...
- Planners Get 500-Megawatt Rower Project
- Discovery Kingdom To Open 40th Season
- Travis Backs Wind Farm
- PG&E Begins Work To Meet Growing Needs
- Travis Commander To Speak At Solano EDC Luncheon
- Energy Measures Could Bring Business
- Wines Are Winners
- Environmental Studies
- ▼ March (33)
- ► 2007 (799)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)