Pharmaceutical Company To Expand Vacaville Plant
By Ines Bebea
VACAVILLE - Novartis AG, a global manufacturer of pharmaceuticals and health-related products, has announced plans to increase its staff and expand the size of its facility in Vacaville.
The expansion of the facility is expected to begin in the next few weeks, and it will add 7,000 square feet to the existing 61,000-square-foot plant.
"Their expansion means that Novartis is clearly committed to their facility in Vacaville," said Mark Mazzaferro, the city's public information officer. "For us, it means that we are a desirable location for biotech companies. In addition to Novartis, we have Genentech and Alza, a small group of companies in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries with operations in Vacaville."
Genentech is also expanding its Vacaville facility. Construction of the $600 million project, called CCP2, began in the third quarter of 2004. The expansion is scheduled to be completed by 2009, and the company hopes to have the required license from the Food and Drug Administration in the second half of that year.
"The new CCP2 facility will be configured with eight 25,000-liter fermentation tanks and, when combined with our existing facility, will add 200,000 liters of capacity," said Robin Snyder, a spokesperson for Genentech. "It will be the largest biotechnology manufacturing facility of its kind in the world."
Novartis representatives would not comment on the timeline or details for their Vacaville project. The company currently has 130 employees in Vacaville. According to a statement by the city, negotiations are under way with Novartis to finalize an incentives package to assist with its expansion plans.
Mazzaferro could not disclose the details of the incentives being discussed but said that the city has offered tax incentives to companies in the past.
"We want to let the rest of the (biotech) industry know that if they are considering a move to Vacaville, we understand their needs," Mazzaferro said. "We are willing to do whatever it takes to help their operations."
Reach Ines Bebea at 427-6934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, September 06, 2007
- SCC Satellite Now In Orbit At Dixon High
- Hospital's Expansion To Prevent Headaches
- CMA To Begin Construction On $15.1M Residence Hall...
- Council Unanimous In Approving Hotel Proposal
- Rockville Estates Put In Limbo
- 20 Years Of Caring
- UCD Researcher Gets Hefty Grant For Tobacco Study
- Benicia Bridge Makes Commuting A Breeze
- Welcome To Wonderland
- Barrier Installation Under Way On Highway 12
- Report Weighs Impact Of Wal-Mart Proposal
- Benica Council OKs First Street Development
- Shop 'Til You Drop
- Fisher To Take Helm At SCC
- Group Pushes Pedestrian Projects In Solano
- Wal-Mart Report Shows Environmental Impact
- Construction Takes Off In Suisun City
- UC Davis MBA program gets high marks from recruite...
- Interchange Project Rolls Ahead With Council OK
- Nut Tree, Travis Could Factor Into Regional Air Tr...
- Sculpture Sprouts Downtown
- Solano Economic Development Breakfast Meeting
- Calbee To Open Fairfield Plant Today
- SCC To Christen New Center In Vallejo
- Ride On! Commuter Update
- Transportation Funding Update
- Transportation Plans, Programs and Studies
- State Route 12: Staying Focused On Safety
- STA Executive Director's Message
- I-80 Pavement Rehabilitation Project
- SR 12 Widening: Jameson Canyon
- Officials Announce Plans To Widen Stretch At James...
- Moderate Forecast For Solano-Napa Job Growth
- Ideas Aplenty For The Edge Of Downtown
- Construction Continues
- GoingGreen 2007 UC Davis Graduate School of Manage...
- UC Davis nets $21M genetic research grant
- WWII Ship On Its Way To Vallejo
- Fairfield Earns Honor For Innovative Housing
- $1.83 million funding for the Interstate 80-Jepson...
- UCD Wins Grant For Neurological Research
- Pharmaceutical Company To Expand Vacaville Plant
- Mural Begins To Come To Life
- Rockville Estates Plan Stalls, For Now
- Right At Home
- Breakfast Event Set
- Will businesses in Solano County and throughout Am...
- Smiles greet Vaca schools' test scores
- ▼ September (48)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)