Group Pushes Pedestrian Projects In Solano
By Barry Eberling
SUISUN CITY - A group of citizens who like to walk are rating priority pedestrian projects for Solano County and its cities, with improvements along West Texas Street in Fairfield and the Rio Vista waterfront among the contenders.
The Pedestrian Advisory Committee makes recommendations to the Solano Transportation Authority. Proposed projects on the priority list will compete for the grants and other money that could make them a reality.
Committee members will vote on a priority list when they meet at 6 p.m. today at the STA conference room, One Harbor Center, Suite 130, in Suisun City.
The committee asked for the county and cities to submit potential projects. It sifted through 25 contenders, with a subcommittee coming up with the proposed top seven projects. Committee chairwoman Eva Laevastu said the projects could make a difference for pedestrians.
"They will provide the opportunity," she said. "Then the question is whether or not you can entice people to actually get out of their cars and walk."
The recommended priority projects are:
-- Rio Vista waterfront improvements. The city wants to beautify its waterfront along the Sacramento River and link it to the downtown with a public walkway from City Hall to the Rio Vista bridge. This could cost more than $2 million.
-- Pedestrian improvements along the proposed North Connector Road that is to link Fairfield's Green Valley area with central Fairfield near Abernathy Road. Ideas include items such as separating bike and walking paths.
-- A bike and walking path in Old Town Cordelia on Cordelia Road.
-- Pedestrian improvements on West Texas Street in Fairfield.
-- A bike and pedestrian bridge in Benicia on State Park Road crossing Interstate 780.
-- A pedestrian crossing at the railroad tracks in Dixon at West B Street, near the future train station.
-- Better paths linking the Vallejo Baylink ferry dock, the ferry terminal building and a proposed parking structure and bus stops.
Reach Barry Eberling at 425-4646, Ext. 232, or at email@example.com.
Thursday, September 20, 2007
- SCC Satellite Now In Orbit At Dixon High
- Hospital's Expansion To Prevent Headaches
- CMA To Begin Construction On $15.1M Residence Hall...
- Council Unanimous In Approving Hotel Proposal
- Rockville Estates Put In Limbo
- 20 Years Of Caring
- UCD Researcher Gets Hefty Grant For Tobacco Study
- Benicia Bridge Makes Commuting A Breeze
- Welcome To Wonderland
- Barrier Installation Under Way On Highway 12
- Report Weighs Impact Of Wal-Mart Proposal
- Benica Council OKs First Street Development
- Shop 'Til You Drop
- Fisher To Take Helm At SCC
- Group Pushes Pedestrian Projects In Solano
- Wal-Mart Report Shows Environmental Impact
- Construction Takes Off In Suisun City
- UC Davis MBA program gets high marks from recruite...
- Interchange Project Rolls Ahead With Council OK
- Nut Tree, Travis Could Factor Into Regional Air Tr...
- Sculpture Sprouts Downtown
- Solano Economic Development Breakfast Meeting
- Calbee To Open Fairfield Plant Today
- SCC To Christen New Center In Vallejo
- Ride On! Commuter Update
- Transportation Funding Update
- Transportation Plans, Programs and Studies
- State Route 12: Staying Focused On Safety
- STA Executive Director's Message
- I-80 Pavement Rehabilitation Project
- SR 12 Widening: Jameson Canyon
- Officials Announce Plans To Widen Stretch At James...
- Moderate Forecast For Solano-Napa Job Growth
- Ideas Aplenty For The Edge Of Downtown
- Construction Continues
- GoingGreen 2007 UC Davis Graduate School of Manage...
- UC Davis nets $21M genetic research grant
- WWII Ship On Its Way To Vallejo
- Fairfield Earns Honor For Innovative Housing
- $1.83 million funding for the Interstate 80-Jepson...
- UCD Wins Grant For Neurological Research
- Pharmaceutical Company To Expand Vacaville Plant
- Mural Begins To Come To Life
- Rockville Estates Plan Stalls, For Now
- Right At Home
- Breakfast Event Set
- Will businesses in Solano County and throughout Am...
- Smiles greet Vaca schools' test scores
- ▼ September (48)
- ► 2006 (662)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)