Valley adds 4,000 new jobs in June
Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal - 2:56 PM PDT Friday, July 21, 2006
Silicon Valley employers added 4,000 names to their payrolls in June, according to a report released Friday.
California's Employment Development Department reported that the total number of employed in Santa Clara and San Benito counties is 882,900, an increase of a half percent over last June.
Leisure and hospitality picked up 1,900 jobs over the past 12 months, with nearly three-quarters of those in food and beverage services.
Trade, transportation and utilities had a gain of 1,100 jobs. Private educational and health services boosted payrolls by 1,100 jobs, primarily at colleges, universities and professional schools.
Since June 2005, the computer and electronic products manufacturing sector lost 900 jobs. At the same time, a gain of 900 jobs was seen in the Internet service provider and Web search portal sector.
The valley's unemployment rate was 5 percent in June, up from 4.4 percent in May but down from 5.7 percent a year ago.
Monterey County had 202,700 employed in June out of a total possible work force of 214,600. In June last year, the county had 207,000 employed out of a possible 219,300.
Santa Cruz County had 140,300 employed out of a possible work force of 147,800. Last June, there were 139,700 employed out of a possible 147,600.
For the entire state, June's unemployment rate was 4.9 percent compared to a national rate of 4.8 percent.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
- ► 2007 (799)
- Golf Tourney Set
- Brewer Helps Local Teachers
- California Gets Cleaner Diesel Ahead of Schedule
- New Travis Commander Focuses on What's Important
- Expanded Port of Oakland draws major 10-year deal
- Genentech Invests in Inotek's Inhibitors
- New sewer plant will allow Rio Vista to expand
- Suisun City Council approves plan to build housing...
- New homes reflect area's history, style Fitting in...
- Home prices inch up; rents rise, sales ebb - Solan...
- Vallejo school district to call M.I. building home...
- Silicon Valley adds 4,000 new jobs in June
- East Bay unemployment up in June to 4.7 percent fr...
- Solar powering up
- SCC starts unique alifornia Insurance Careers Prog...
- Trilogy's impact on Rio Vist
- State's $3.4 billion solar power bill slated for A...
- Major profit for Dixon-based First Northern Commun...
- Open for Business
- Solano County Sees Boost in Construction Jobs in J...
- Solano County Gets Award of Excellence for Annual ...
- Together for tourism - Solano set to unveil '80 on...
- Home sales decline but prices don't
- East Bay continues to be a jobs powerhouse
- Dixon, Davis get big boost for greenbelt
- JENSEN PRECAST OPENS FIFTH CALIFORNIA FACILITY IN ...
- School Progress
- Tourism Campaign Announced
- Nut Tree Stores Set to Open
- The Fair is Coming to Town!
- Solano Gets New Tourism Direction
- Violent crime drops in Solano County
- STA OK's plan for transit expenditures
- Dixon gets OK to annex Milk Farm property
- Property values in Solano County grew at a record ...
- SCC works to keep Solano County students local
- Vacaville adopts budget, ups public safety funds
- UC Davis hires stem cell expert for new program
- First Nut Tree Store May Open Next Week
- Hurdle Scaled in Dixon
- DOWNTOWN TO STEP UP
- Solano's Grand Stands
- Boat Operators Eye Suisun City
- Tourism on Tap
- A Watering Hole for Businesses
- ▼ July (45)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)