Suisun City May Get Sister City in the Philippines
By Ian Thompson
SUISUN CITY - Suisun City could soon get a sister city in the Philippines after the city council warmed to the idea brought up by councilman and Filipino-American Pete Sanchez.
"It can be mutually beneficial," said Sanchez, who recently met with a delegation from the potential sister city while he was vacationing in the Philippines.
Sanchez was carrying forward the idea presented to him by local resident Aurelia Joven, whose hometown is Naguilian which is roughly a five-hour drive north of Manila on the Philippines' main island of Luzon.
Joven talked with friends who still live in Naguilian and other former residents of the town who now live in the United States before approaching Sanchez with the idea.
Sanchez and others are considering a relationship similar to one that Fairfield has with Nirasaki, Japan. The two cities exchange students and delegations visit each other.
Sanchez said Suisun City and Naguilian could have an educational exchange and exchange ideas on dealing with mutual city issues such as promoting retail projects and maintaining infrastructure.
He also said the project will be another opportunity for the Filipino-American community to get more involved, including paying the financial costs for an official sister city program.
"This all can be done with no expense to the city," said Sanchez alluding to Suisun City's efforts to keep city costs down due to tight budget times. "It won't cost the city a thing."
Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, March 09, 2006
- ► 2007 (799)
- City of Fairfield Development Update
- Sacramento Business Journal: UC Davis grad school ...
- Hearn to Build Hotels in Fairfield
- Genentech May Widen Drug's Use
- Nut Tree Growing Tenants
- Building Homes On Old Bases - Lennar's Success on ...
- Onward and Upward
- Developers Get Green Light for Subdivisions
- Benicia on Web Site's List of Top Cities to Live
- County Government Center Wins National Recognition...
- State to Honor VPEF's Efforts
- City Reaches Out to Businesses
- Bay Area economy thriving
- A Bright Welcome
- Fairfield Leads State in Drop in Violent Crime
- SOLANO COUNTY TOURISM SUMMIT FIRST STEP IN COLLABO...
- Wine-tasting Room Could Come to Suisun Valley
- Suisun City Releases Proposal for Old Town Develop...
- Tourist Study Seeks Brand for Vacaville
- Suisun Valley Hosts Grape Growers Association
- Suisun City's 'Icon' Arrives
- Globemaster for Travis
- Genentech Raises its Goals for Progress
- Home Sales, Prices Drop in Solano
- Paving the Way
- VCUSD Officials Unveil Bids for District's Parcels...
- Nugget Officially Coming to Northgate
- Gateway Holds Sway
- Dixon Chamber Lease Approved
- City OKs Extra $2.9M to Widen Wilson Avenue
- Sutter Medical Center Makes New Strategic Plan
- City Eyes Plan to Revitalize Texas Street Corridor...
- Construction Beam Put in Place, Marking Kaiser Mil...
- Survey: This is the Place to Find a Job
- Time's right for apartment owners to consider cond...
- Doctor is 'in' for Rio Vista residents
- More C-17s are Possible, Could Help Preserve Travi...
- A Tank for the Times
- Redevlopment Cooking
- Training New Leaders
- East Bay tops area job growth
- Westfield Solano mall officially announces renovat...
- Sandy Person appointed as representive for Solano ...
- Suisun City May Get Sister City in the Philippines...
- Vallejo Approves Downtown Financing
- Texas Street Downtown Attracts Professionals
- Sewage District OKs Study for Pxpansion
- Suisun City Anticipates Budget Surplus
- Caltrans to Fund Only Part of I-80 Repairs for Now...
- Local Project is Looking at Mixed Use
- Sewer Board To Discuss Plant Expansion Plans
- City to Study What Businesses to Bring to Suisun
- A Lot of Good News Lately in Dixon
- Marine World Kicks Off 45th Anniversary
- Sacramento Region adds most jobs since 2001
- New Cordelia library gets $250,000 windfall
- Mike Browne Named New Vallejo Convention Director
- March 3, 2006 Business experiences expansion gain...
- Supervisors Place Transit Tax on June Ballot
- ▼ March (59)
- ► 2005 (627)
- ► 2004 (125)