Thursday, October 06, 2005
Local After School Programs Get State Grant
Article Last Updated: Tuesday, Aug 23, 2005 - 11:44:56 pm PDT
Teacher Regina Williams helps Arenisha Thomas, right, and Dejanae Odham with their homework at an after school program. (Photo By Judith Sagami/Daily Republic)
Local After School Programs Get State Grant
By Ian Thompson
FAIRFIELD - Fairfield's Life Before/After School and The Place 2 B After 3 school programs are earmarked to get a $595,200 grant from the Department of Education, Rep. Ellen Tauscher, D-Alamo, announced Tuesday.
The programs "have made a tremendous contribution in the lives of Solano County kids," Tauscher said in a press release
"I am always pleased to support important projects like these that keep our kids safe, off the streets and learning," she added.
The money will pay for creating the Kids Corner programs at six additional elementary schools, expansion of The Place 2 B After 3 to a new middle school site and expanded hours at the four current schools, and development of recreation programs through the Fun On The Run mobile recreational program.
More than 300 elementary school and more than 400 middle school students are enrolled in the city-run programs which have been run for more than 20 years.
Tauscher wrote a letter supporting the program asking other members of Congress to consider it one of her highest priorities, saying Fairfield residents benefit from reducing the number of unsupervised youth.
"This proposal has the support of Fairfield's chief of police as a means to reduce juvenile crime and delinquency," Tauscher wrote in the letter.
Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or at email@example.com.
Copyright Daily Republic. All rights reserved.
Posted by Solano EDC at 11:52 AM
- ► 2007 (799)
- ► 2006 (662)
- VA hastens Dixon veterans cemetery construction
- Solano's jobless matches national average
- Solano County get Chinese Sister City - Ji'an
- Solano County gets sister city in China
- Vallejo Waterfront deal OK'd
- Vallejo schools bump up its testing scores
- Last-minute Negotiations Key to Deal for Waterfron...
- The Vacaville Planning Commission is expected to v...
- A white tablecloth Italian restaurant and lounge w...
- A glimpse at Vallejo's waterfront future
- Vacaville schools do well with state targets
- Solano County Supervisors consider new English Hil...
- City of Dixon Planners, Council to digest report o...
- Novartis to Buy Rest of Chiron for $5.1B
- Chiron gets $62M deal for bird flu vaccine stockpi...
- Solano County seeking its foothold on the wine ind...
- Arming for potential disaster in Vacaville
- Calif. new-home building set for banner year -repo...
- VA hastens veterans cemetery construction near Dix...
- Traffic fears mar Solano County fairgrounds plan
- Sacramento in top 50 of logistics-friendly cities
- Developers seeking out shut-down military base in ...
- Solano County Board of Supervisors and delegates f...
- The unemployment rate in Solano County was down to...
- Chiron expects market share boost
- Office space leases slowing in Silicon Valley
- Vallejo Waterfront developer waits for OK from cou...
- Fairfield City staffbegins study to look at motel ...
- G V Cellars to debut in Green Valley
- Smallest city in Solano, Rio Vista is reshaping ma...
- California lost jobs in September - The Sacramento...
- Dr. Gunnar Weikert, chairman of Inventages Venture...
- The Sonoma County Economic Development Board today...
- the Sacramento region should grow by almost 370,00...
- Developers asking voters to open land for housing ...
- 11 Bay Area School Districts Asking Voters for $1...
- Construction underway for Venture Commerce Center ...
- Holiday Inn Sale Becomes Official
- High Rise Work OK'd
- Downtown Mall Gets Fresh Look
- Study Predicts Economic Growth in Fairfield
- Benicia Business Park Expansion Progressing
- Ground Broken for New Library
- County Called One of the Nation's '100 Best Commun...
- Changes for Collinsville?
- Suisun's Newest Neighborhood
- Building a Village
- Study: Vallejo Area to Lead Region's Economic Grow...
- Napa-Solano Trail Dedication this Weekend
- City OKs Plan for Downtown
- Council Approves Villages Project
- PG&E Gets OK to Discount Rates to Keep Businesses ...
- Second Street Starts
- Mills Corp., Sierra Club Present Separate Plans fo...
- Milk Farm Vision Vies on Reality
- Fairfield-Suisun District Encouraging National Cer...
- Healthy Local Job Market Predicted
- A State of the Art Brewery
- Council to Discuss Plans for Fairfield/Vacaville T...
- Leasing Picks up For Benicia Industrial Condos
- Genentech profits surge 56 percent
- Big changes are being planned for the northern ”ga...
- Job growth will accelerate the Bay Area's commerci...
- Fairfield's Urban Infill
- 'Bold Plan' for Revitalization
- T.G.I. Friday's and BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse ...
- Gas Crunch a Selling Point for housing development...
- Indirectly, High School Project Begins
- Housing Still Hot
- Article Last Updated: Friday, Aug 26, 2005 - 10:57...
- Air Expo Returns to Travis in October
- Business Owners Get Chance to Buy Offices
- Fairfield's Next Big Housing Project on the Way
- Nut Tree's New Era Begins
- Vacaville Officials, Project Managers Break Ground...
- Rebirth of a Landmark: Nut Tree to be Revived
- Ceremony to Mark New Nut Tree's Start
- Vacaville May Get New Furniture Store
- Local After School Programs Get State Grant
- Aiming for a Wonderful Life
- Genentech Construction Schedule Hits it Mark
- Firm Marks Anniversary
- Aerial Pesticides Not Used in Solano Due to Low Th...
- STARS on the Rise
- New Highway 37 Debuts Today
- Own your own business
- Meyer Adding 2 Warehouses to Facility
- Now and the Future
- Solano Exhibit Wins Award at State Fair
- STAR Scores Show Improvement Both Locally, Statewi...
- Sutter Buys Land to Expand Medical Facility
- The Growing Niche of City Development
- Land Trust Gets Funds for Preservation
- Timing is Everything
- The New Highway 37: 50 Years in the Making
- Racetrack Report Set for Release
- Region's Firms in Upbeat Mood
- Bank Sells Lagoon Valley Parcel for $6.6 Million
- M.I. May Get Shuttle Buses to Ferry Dock
- ▼ October (125)
- ► 2004 (125)