Suisun Lighthouse Should be Finished by July
By Ian Thompson
SUISUN CITY - Suisun City's 52-foot-tall lighthouse should be up and running as soon as next summer, according to the project's manager, Chief Building Inspector Dan Kasperson.
"We hope to have an operating lighthouse by the Fourth of July celebration," Kasperson said.
The Suisun City Council is expected to award Blackshear Construction of Benicia a $623,000 contract tonight to build the structure city leaders are predicting will be the symbol of a rejuvenated Suisun City waterfront.
Blackshear was one of five builders who responded to a bid put out early in the fall to put up the structure that was designed by the ROMA Design Group of San Francisco.
"That is a good amount, considering it is a relatively small project," Kasperson said of the number of bidders. "There was interest because it was so unique."
The lighthouse was the product of a series of community forums in 2004. Residents and councilmembers figured it would be a unique and distinctive symbol visible from Highway 12.
It was designed to be a steel structure with alternating bands of black and white granite panels, simulating the paint scheme of coastal lighthouses and topped with a rotating beacon.
The city lit up the beacon on the waterfront in a public ceremony Oct. 1 after perching it atop a crane raised to approximately the height of what the lighthouse would be.
Suisun City's Redevelopment Agency is putting forward $530,000 to get the construction work started and city staff is recommending putting up another $200,000 to meet the contract price and any cost overruns.
"All of the costs are going to be reimbursed by fees generated from a surcharge on property sold by the Redevelopment Agency," Kasperson said. "The intent is that there will be no impact on city money."
The Suisun City Council, sitting as the Redevelopment Agency's governing board, meets at 7 p.m. tonight.
Reach Ian Thompson at 427-6976 or at email@example.com.
Who: Suisun Redevelopment Agency
What: Awarding the contract to build a lighthouse on the waterfront
Where: Suisun City Council chamber, 701 Civic Center Blvd.
When: 7 p.m. tonight
Info: 707 421-7300
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
- ► 2007 (799)
- ► 2006 (662)
- Report: Sacramento workers earn more than national...
- Full Accreditation Awarded
- Phase 1 of Vallejo Project is Residential
- Solano County Unemployment Drops
- Genentech on Forbes' Platinum List
- Roadways in the Area 'Very Good'
- Downtown Renaissance Continues
- Solano EDC Meeting Set
- Rio Vista Transit System Offers New Fares, Routes
- Builder Announced in Vallejo Project
- County's Jobless Rate Shows Strength
- Sister cities
- Coffee Tree Sips Long Gone, Nut Tree Sibling Falls...
- Westfield Solano Mall Considers Expansion
- Oakland Port OKs W. Sac Deal
- Study: Jobs in Greater Sacramento up at least 2 pe...
- Brooks Pedder Becomes Chairman of Solano EDC
- Commissioners to consider Dixon development projec...
- Saca unveils plan for third high rise condo tower
- Top Sacramento brokerage sees sturdy '06
- Solano County Unemployment Falls in November
- A Triumph at the Sutter Solano Center
- Poll Encouraging for Tax Advocates
- More Solano County residents own their own home th...
- Solano Job Numbers Keep Growing
- Flashy Annual Report Trumpets County's Successes
- Seeking to Mix it Up
- Fairfield's On Its Way To "Great Things"
- Officials Talk Trains with Solano Residents
- Suisun City Courts Developers
- Capitols on Roll With Record Rider Ship
- Spirit of Community Involvement Honored at Awards
- 2006 Could be Big for Rio Vista
- Nut Tree's New Era Begins
- Travis to Reopen Main Gate
- Suisun Lighthouse Should be Finished by July
- County could move ahead with post office purchase
- Outlook good for Bay Area economy
- Dump Expansion Plans on Hold
- Mission Solano Breaks Ground for New Shelter
- Suisun City's Growing Business
- New Center Aids Area's Cancer Care
- Fairfield Set for Shelter's Construction
- ▼ December (43)
- ► 2004 (125)