Solano County Unemployment Falls in November
By Christine Cube
FAIRFIELD - Unemployment in Solano County fell a bit in November compared to the previous month, according to new figures released by the state Employment Development Department.
The county boasted a workforce of 215,500 - 204,400 employed individuals and 11,100 unemployed. The November jobless rate was 5.1 percent.
For the month of October, Solano County reported a workforce of 216,400 - 205,100 employed people and 11,300 unemployed. The October unemployment rate was 5.2 percent.
Benicia and Suisun City were the only cities to report unchanged employment and unemployment figures from October to November.
The county's unemployment rate is slightly below the state's: California's rate was also unchanged at 5.2 percent.
A year ago, the state's jobless rate hovered at about 6 percent.
Throughout the Vallejo-Fairfield metropolitan statistical area, there were a total of 131,100 jobs in November. That's equal to the number of jobs in November a year ago.
EDD's survey of employers found the increase in nonfarm payroll employment across the state tripled over the month of October with 20,400 extra jobs in November toward a total of 14,842,800 jobs. In October, nonfarm payroll employment increased by 6,800 jobs.
According to a separate survey of households, the number of Californians holding jobs last month was 17,005,000. This marked the end of seven consecutive months of record high employment that eventually reached 17,036,000 in October. Specifically, jobs in California fell by 33,000 over October.
Throughout the state, 939,000 people didn't have jobs, an increase of 3,000 compared with October and down by 117,000 compared with November 2004, according to EDD.
Of the unemployed, 327,500 were laid off, 91,600 left their jobs voluntarily and the remaining were either new entrants or folks returning to the labor market.
Solano County's jobless rate is roughly equal to that of the rest of the country.
The U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the November jobless rate was unchanged at 5 percent.
Nationally, the number of unemployed individuals last month was 7.6 million.
Since May, the national unemployment rate has ranged from 4.9 percent to 5.1 percent.
Reach Christine Cube at 427-6934 or email@example.com.
Local employment figures for November 2005
Location Labor Force Employment Unemployment Rate
Solano County 215,500 204,400 5.1 percent
Benicia 17,300 16,800 3.1 percent
Dixon 9,100 8,700 4 percent
Fairfield 49,200 46,500 5.6 percent
Rio Vista 2,400 2,300 3.7 percent
Suisun City 15,000 14,200 5.3 percent
Vacaville 46,300 44,600 3.7 percent
Vallejo 65,200 61,000 6.4 percent
Source: State of California Employment Development Department Labor Market Information Division
Monday, December 19, 2005
- ► 2007 (799)
- ► 2006 (662)
- Report: Sacramento workers earn more than national...
- Full Accreditation Awarded
- Phase 1 of Vallejo Project is Residential
- Solano County Unemployment Drops
- Genentech on Forbes' Platinum List
- Roadways in the Area 'Very Good'
- Downtown Renaissance Continues
- Solano EDC Meeting Set
- Rio Vista Transit System Offers New Fares, Routes
- Builder Announced in Vallejo Project
- County's Jobless Rate Shows Strength
- Sister cities
- Coffee Tree Sips Long Gone, Nut Tree Sibling Falls...
- Westfield Solano Mall Considers Expansion
- Oakland Port OKs W. Sac Deal
- Study: Jobs in Greater Sacramento up at least 2 pe...
- Brooks Pedder Becomes Chairman of Solano EDC
- Commissioners to consider Dixon development projec...
- Saca unveils plan for third high rise condo tower
- Top Sacramento brokerage sees sturdy '06
- Solano County Unemployment Falls in November
- A Triumph at the Sutter Solano Center
- Poll Encouraging for Tax Advocates
- More Solano County residents own their own home th...
- Solano Job Numbers Keep Growing
- Flashy Annual Report Trumpets County's Successes
- Seeking to Mix it Up
- Fairfield's On Its Way To "Great Things"
- Officials Talk Trains with Solano Residents
- Suisun City Courts Developers
- Capitols on Roll With Record Rider Ship
- Spirit of Community Involvement Honored at Awards
- 2006 Could be Big for Rio Vista
- Nut Tree's New Era Begins
- Travis to Reopen Main Gate
- Suisun Lighthouse Should be Finished by July
- County could move ahead with post office purchase
- Outlook good for Bay Area economy
- Dump Expansion Plans on Hold
- Mission Solano Breaks Ground for New Shelter
- Suisun City's Growing Business
- New Center Aids Area's Cancer Care
- Fairfield Set for Shelter's Construction
- ▼ December (43)
- ► 2004 (125)