Travis Prepares to Accept C-17s
By Ian Thompson
FAIRFIELD - There is nothing to stop the first C-17 Globemaster IIIs from arriving at Travis Air Force Base on time next year, an Air Mobility Command inspection team announced.
The team, called a Site Activation Task Force, visited the base in the first four days of November to check the progress of getting ready to bed down the new air transport, according to an AMC News Service release.
"We assessed the progress of the program and we did not find any show stoppers that will prevent or delay the delivery of C-17s to Travis," said Maj. Keith Thibodeaux of AMC headquarters.
Travis is slated to get 13 new C-17s - with the first of the aircraft planned to arrive by July and the first of the active-duty aircrew and maintainers slated to start arriving in January. The C-17s, the newest of the Air Force fleet, are a key in solidifying Travis' future.
Members of the Air Force Reserve's 349th Air Mobility Wing also have aircrew and maintainers training and preparing for the aircraft's' arrival.
Construction of buildings needed by the C-17s will be completed by January, as well as a flight simulator facility, an aircraft parts store, a squadron operations building and an aircraft maintenance building, the news release said.
The task force's duty was to check on the preparations and identify any issues that needed to be addressed before the aircraft arrive and the squadrons associated with the C-17s are activated.
A lot of work for both the active duty and Reserve air mobility wings still remains to get ready for the C-17s, Travis officials said in the news release.
"That jet is coming and when it gets here, the nation is going to want us to put it in the fight the next day and we need to be ready," said Col. Keith Frede, 60th Maintenance Group commander.
Reach Ian Thompson cat 427-6976 or at email@example.com.
- ► 2007 (799)
- ► 2006 (662)
- Filling In
- Making it Big
- Copart Acquires Central Penn Sales
- More C-17s could be headed to Travis AFB
- Rockville Trails Estate, water district part ways
- Fairfield responds to jump in crime
- California Coffers Swelling Again After Struggles
- Economic picture good for Solano County
- Apartment construction keeps pace, rents stay down...
- Dixon Trustees Unanimously Approve New School
- Travis Air Force Base Gets Millions in Funds
- Bill Would Fund Solano Transportation Projects
- Ready and Rented
- Reading, Writing and Religion...
- Helping Solano County Business Flourish
- Results of Annual Apartment Rent Survey Conducted ...
- Top Solano leaders target coordination on key issu...
- Lennar Gets Extension on M.I. Deal
- Travis Prepares to Accept C-17s
- County Program Extends Health Care to Homeless
- Dixon Trustees May Accept Bid for New High School
- With New School Coming, AmCan Weighs Amenities
- Capitol Corridor to Serve Proposed Fairfield-Vacav...
- Vaca Public Works 'Agency of the Year'
- Jockeying for Jobs
- Flying high: Vallejo's Six Flags reports larger pr...
- Perils of converting old bases
- Editorial: Port of Sacramento - The Sacramento Bee...
- CBS 5: Port Of Oakland Gets $48 Million For Improv...
- Bioscience firm creates safflower rich in healthy ...
- Bay Region's biotechs spend $4B a year on research...
- House approves water project bill with more than $...
- Vallejo Receives Two Big Charter Grants
- A Wealth of Walnuts
- A New Hope for the Homeless
- Shea donates to fire and police effort in Rio Vist...
- Large Scale Biology Corp reports third quarter res...
- Copart, Inc. (NASDAQ: CPRT - News) today announced...
- Development Dues
- Delegation From Philippines Visits Vallejo to Stud...
- Hearthstone Turns its Eye to Vallejo's Hiddenbrook...
- Caltrans wants AmCan to widen Highway 29 to Napa
- Ranchotel owner offers to share land with K-9 faci...
- Solano County seeks panel members to help update G...
- City of Fairfield Green Valley may get upscale bis...
- It's supersmooth in Dixon Rare welcome for Wal-Mar...
- Solano Still Rules
- Solano County Seeking its Foothold on the Wine Ind...
- Project in Works to Bring Italian Cuisine to Valle...
- Mare Island Indicates Possibilities
- ▼ November (50)
- ► 2004 (125)